Re: New README.source documentation for Debian packages

Goswin von Brederlow <goswin-v-b@web.de> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> writes:

>> This new recommendation is *not* RC for lenny, only a recommendation.
>> However, it is still a recommendation that most affected packages don't
>> currently follow, so I wanted to give the development community a
>> heads-up on this change.

> Can this be savely ignored when it is planed to switch over to the 3.0
> (quilt) format as soon as it is allowed and thereby replacing the
> current patch system?

Switching to the 3.0 (quilt) format will satisfy the requirement that one
can simply run dpkg-source -x on the source package, make changes, and run
dpkg-buildpackage, which means that, according to this new Policy, no
additional documentation is required.  So the short version is yes, unless
the transition to that format is expected to take some time.

If your package build system is particularly complicated, or if you have
to do another upload for lenny anyway, it may be nice for the security
team to include a README.source for the existing package layout for lenny,
but this is certainly *not* required and we are not expecting maintainers
to address this issue for lenny.

Due largely to lack of manpower, Policy changes are a bit desynchronized
from our release cycle right now.  In order for this to really be
something for lenny, the Policy update would have had to have been
published about six months ago; now, it's really too late to expect lenny
to be affected by this change.