Re: Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

On 4/12/08, Jens Seidel <jensseidel@users.sf.net> wrote:
> This would not help people without network connection. Maybe building
>  the data package from source (calling raytracers to generate images,
>  ...) would allow to rebuild the 500MB package in many hours from a 50MB
>  package which culd be distributed in Debian?

This is an acceptable option, if one wants to save space, but then it
puts a lot of CPU pressure on the buildds to regenerate the data. If
one wants to reduce the installed size, then I agree that it's a good
idea to work with upstream to add support for the data to be installed
in a compressed format.  If the issue with distributing such a large
package is bandwidth, then I think that Debian should look into adding
support for peer to peer retrieval of packages, rather than not
accepting large packages.  If the issue is bandwidth, then I think
putting peer to peer transfer support into apt would be the solution
in the long run.  I'd like to see that anyway, it would be cool in a
geeky way, and it would be an important example for people arguing
against the "network management practices" of today's ISPs.