Re: Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

  Hello !

  [replying to this particular mail, but in effect to the whole thread]

Ivan Vucica wrote:
> Perhaps someone should bug upstream to consider producing a smaller
> version of the dataset. I'm sure they could strip some quality off of
> textures, and kick some content out to produce VegaStrike-lite. Or
> you, Vincent, could do that :)
>
> We could have:
> vegastrike-data
> vegastrike-data-lite (provides: vegastrike-data)
> vegastrike-data-full (provides: vegastrike-data)
>
> vegastrike-data-full would be separately hosted (as suggested above),
> perhaps by upstream following the
> if-they-can-host-1gb-they-can-host-2gb-too logic" ^^

  That's a good idea, except for the part 'Or you, Vincent, could do
that' ;-)...

Anres Mejia wrote:
> The idea I'm referring to is that the orig source could contain only a "dummy"
> file and the upstream source is actually downloaded from somewhere into
> debian/tmp, unpacked, and built from using plain old debian/rules.

  This is calling for a nightmare of FTBSes : if I remember correctly,
the grid that rebuilds every once in a while the archive is not
connected to the network - that will be a RC bug everytime. And people
should be able to rebuild a package from the source on a CD (without a
network connection).

  I must admit that I currently don't have the courage to spawn a
discussion about sourceless packages, even if that could be a way to
alleviate the load of the mirrors.

  I think I will finish the binary package in a first step, as it works
reasonably fine with old data, and upload it as is. Then, I'll probably
strip the music, which will lead to a source tarball of 330MB (which
will also be the Arch: all package generated from it). That is big, but
reasonable. This does not solve the installed-size problem, but that
probably can wait.

  Cheers, and thanks for the input !

	Vincent

--