Re: Newer vegastrike : can we package that big ?

On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 12:36:54PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 09:56:11AM +0200, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> >   The problem is, the final tarball weights 500MB, with an installed
> > size of nearly 1GB, which is twice as big as the biggest package
> > currently in the archive. The current vegastrike-data weights 310MB
> > installed-size, 157MB debian package (plus 70MB for vegastrike-music).
>
> How about trying several compression programs? I'm sure it will not solve
> the problem but it could reduce at least the .deb size by maybe 10-20%.
In the case of urban-terror the gain is not enough important to be a solution,
650MB instead of 750MB. So yes, it's a help to reduce the final sice of
the .deb but I don't think it's a solution.

> Can you post some statistics?
What sort of statistic do you want?

> I'm sure it's not a problem to add a new dependence on a uncompression
> package if this reduces the size sufficiently. A much more difficult
> step would be analysing the content of the game. Maybe the data files
> can be generated from a smaller source package? But this is upstreams
> task and would affect only the source package.
Before a network connection, some games do a checksum on the data
files to identify cheaters (PunkBuster, BattleEye, ...).

Maybe we can provide an unofficial repository with these packages like
games.debian.net and add a script in the main package to fetch the -data
archives.

      Gonéri