Re: Team Members MIA

Richard Hartmann wrote:
On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 12:37 AM, Eddy Petrișor <eddy.petrisor@gmail.com> wrote:

 > 1 joeyh

 Joey has stated clearly he is displeased with our organization and they
 way we're handling the source package. He would really love to see us
 using git (and I must say, I really understand him now).

What are his suggestions as to the organization? Archive link would be
great :)

http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/a_problem_with_tools/
http://kitenet.net/~joey/blog/entry/on_storing_Debian_packages_in_subversion/

With regards to the old svn vs git: It is easily possible to use a svn
server with a git client. The reverse is impossible. While it is true

I am really aware of git-svn, but the problem is that wee need either
- a git-buildpackage that knows how to build from incomplete sources[1], or
- a way to track the debian directory in a realiable way and keep in the git clones the sources (pristine-tar comes in the picture for this case) so that what comes from SVN to be placed over the source and the git user gets a full checkout. (git is really space efficient, so it compares really well to a full svn checkout while having history).

Also, there is also the problem of playing nicely with svn-buildpackage and set the proper information (svn-bp:origUrl, svn-bp:tagsUrl, etc.).

that you are losing information when merging back, git could easily set
properties in the svn tree to keep track of its own branches and merges
and simply treat the svn version as one large branch. With the next
release of subversion, merging and tagging thereof will be better as
well so git-svn could probably use that information to map what is
happening into its own branch handling.

But git-svn is still behind subversion wrt properties. Not sure if the subversion merge support is enough (I have the feeling that I saw some discussion about it still being suboptimal).

Long story short, svn allows more people to choose their tools freely
and does not prevent anyone from using the full power of their tool of
choice.

Well, it kind of does, actually; tbh, not svn itself, but the policies we built around it.

 But, unfortunately, we kind of do... mainly because we didn't managed to
 find a really suited way of making upload requests. Maybe we should
 really revisit Reinhart's REVU and put it online somewhere.

An extra list like debian-games-devel-mentor (yes, yes, an ugly name)
which DDs involved & interested could filter higher in their inboxes? No
idea if there is any need, or want, for this, though. DDs' thoughts?

No, that is a bad idea. All such dicussions should take place either on the Debian Games Team ML, or on debian-devel-games@l.d.o

EddyP