Re: RFS: xlife

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 02:53:48PM -0500, Barry deFreese wrote:
> Hi folks,

Hi,

> I made a couple of minor changes to xlife if anyone has time to review
> and/or upload:
>
> http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/x/xlife/xlife_5.0-8.dsc

It looks very good.  Just one thing though: the copyright file seems to
be only about the upstream source.  It should also contain a notice
about the Debian packaging.  It also seems incomplete with respect to
the upstream source.  For every (copyrightable) part, there must be a
statement about who owns the copyright (or that it's public domain, but
that's rare), plus a year.  Also, there must be a license, and that must
of course be compatible with the DFSG.  What I see is:

- Only one copyright claim, for "XLife".  It seems to be about the
  entire program.  However, there is also a list of other authors
  without a copyright claim.

- A license for the only copyright claim.  This seems to be about the
  entire program.  If this is correct, that is good. :-)  However, all
  copyright holders need to agree.  It's probably a good idea to send
  them (and Jon Bennett, too) a mail asking them who they think holds
  copyrights on (parts of) the code, so this can be properly noted.

- The license doesn't seem to be about the Debian packaging.  A license
  is needed for that as well.  The most usual choice is "the same as the
  program", but this must be explicitly done by the people who wrote the
  packaging.

- IMO it would be nice to follow the proposed machine-parsable copyright
  format[1].  This is of course optional.

If it's not possible get to all details, I think it's still acceptable
to upload it anyway.  However, I think we should at least try to make it
as correct as possible. :-)

Thanks,
Bas

For more information, see http://pcbcn10.phys.rug.nl/e-mail.html