Re: list of orphaned / RFA games

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 07:10:42PM +0100, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> > Did you check whether there are games which work in sarien but not in
> > scummvm (yet)?
>
> The scummvm code is a continuation of this codebase.

OK, so this likely means all games should work?

> >> ack, RM requested.
> >
> > Is another quake2 engine available in Debian which you can use to play
> > the original game data (and/or the shareware data)? I don't want this to
> > be removed if there's no alternative. If nobody else steps up I might
> > volunteer to maintain it.
>
> No way, it's not acceptable to include known-insecure code in the
> archive, even if it's in contrib and not supported with regular
> security support.

Fair enough. But there are ways to fix it, in the worst case by
disabling the server and only allowing single-player games or
something.

> Did you even look at the package? It doesn't detect check mate properly,
> it's early 0.2 alpha code.

I did shortly and it seemed to work so far. I didn't play a complete
game yet, though.

But to quote from [1]: "The upstream author has confirmed that he is aware
of this bug and that he will fix it". Granted, that message was from
May/2007, but pinging upstream shouldn't be much work and is still
preferable to just dropping the package right away, IMO.

Uwe.