Re: Best practices for changelogs

On 11/14/07, Andres Mejia <mcitadel@gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem with this is that only the maintainer/uploaders is suppose
> to change anything with the package. Doing this requires the
> maintainer/uploaders uploading the package again. This would be a pain
> for those maintaining large packages like alien-arena-data or
> warsow-data.

I don't think that it's a problem for the sponsor to modify the
version in this way if it has been requested by the maintainer.  Also,
as long as the upstream tarball hasn't been modified, the maintainer
can choose to exclude the orig tarball by adding the -sd flag to
dpkg-buildpackage.

> The changelog would contain only details about the packaging, so the
> information in a debian/changelog would most likely be irrelevant to a
> user anyway.

I strongly disagree that it isn't relevant to users.  The changelog is
exposed in various package management tools, and the policy requires
that it is always installed along with the package.  I myself often
read the changelog of updated packages to see what was changed between
debian revisions.