Re: Best practices for changelogs

On Nov 14, 2007 5:15 PM, Simon Ruggier <simon80@gmail.com> wrote:
> The following is a quote from the thread:
>
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:28:09 +0200
> martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> wrote:
> > Anyway, we're not here to agree on one procedure, are we? because
> > we likely never will.
>
> I disagree that there was a consensus, but I do think that the thread
> is a good read for people who are considering this.
>
> My personal preference after reading it (this is one of the
> suggestions in the thread) would be to append something like ~rfs1 to
> the version during the sponsoring process, incrementing it during any
> revisions without creating any new blocks.  When the sponsor thinks
> the package is ready, they can modify my changelog by deleting the
> four character postfix from the version, and then the package that
> gets uploaded doesn't skip any versions.  Because the changelog is
> part of Debian's user interface, I don't think it should be cluttered
> with implementation details that aren't relevant to the user.

The problem with this is that only the maintainer/uploaders is suppose
to change anything with the package. Doing this requires the
maintainer/uploaders uploading the package again. This would be a pain
for those maintaining large packages like alien-arena-data or
warsow-data.

The changelog would contain only details about the packaging, so the
information in a debian/changelog would most likely be irrelevant to a
user anyway.

Andres Mejia