Re: mentoring new members (was: Re: prboom icon removed)

On 29/10/2007, Miriam Ruiz <little.miry@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, lets set the basis of how we're gonna handle that mentors-mentees
> stuff. Shall it also affect the most recent additions to the team, or
> we set the zero time right now? If any of the newest member

I would say that currently existing people shouldn't be surprised if
they are mointored/mentored for a while, and, if they prove to be
unworthy, to be even have their commit rights revoked.

> Thanks for taking care of that, Gerfried. I guess the wiki might be a
> good place to have all that documentation, what do you think about it?

About documentation, I guess the best place to have it is the wiki,
maybe wiki.d.o/Games/NewContributors.

Second thing, I would like that page to contain also some text along
the lines of "every member of the Debian Games Team must be subscribed
to both debian-devel-games@l.d.o and pkg-games-devel@l.a.d.o".
Explanation about each purpose should follow. This is because I
suspect there are more cases like bdefreese, who wasn't aware he was
supposed to be listed, so he wasn't able to see my comments on his
commit.

> From now on, every addition or removal from/to the team will have to
> be announced in this list beforehand, and a current member of the team
> assigned as a responsible person for the newest member. If there are
> no objections, we will go ahead. I'm not sure if we have to regulate
> the case when there are objections, we'll better face it in a case by
> case basis as they arise, which I don't expect to be too frequently.

I think we can work our way from there on.

> The mentor will be in charge of introducing the newer member to the
> current team practices, and monitor the changes that person does in
> SVN. It is at mentor's discretion to prefer not to grant inmediate SVN
> permissions from the beginning and commit changes him/herself from
> patches sent by the newer contributor, or grant him/her SVN access if
> s/he feels it's adequate. Lets not overregulate it too much anyway.
>
> That's my proposal at least. Any comments?

Except that you should stop top-posting?

EddyP