Re: About NM and Next Release

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 08:04:04 +0200
Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@raw.no> wrote:
> * Steve Lamb
> (please trim your lines a little, 72 chars/line is considered
> standard, to allow for a few levels of quoting before breaking the
> lines on a 80 char wide terminal.  TIA.)

    Please use a standard quote character, which is >.  In that way pretty
much any modern editor in the past, say, 10 years, can reflow quoted lines to
fit within 80 characters.  72 was for the ~10 years before reflowing of
quotes.

> |     That is true, but that doesn't make the package "important" in
> | the sense I got from his message.  What I envisioned was core
> | packages.

> It doesn't have «Priority: required» or important, no, but it's still
> important to those users.

    Right, which I pointed out to him.  I felt that the packages I installed
were important to *me*.  That doesn't change the fact that the sense of the
word, I feel, was different when he said it since his intent was more along
the case of core packages without functionality.

> Apache was more or less unmaintained until thom, fabbione and myself
> picked it up in April or so.  If you want to help out, please do.

    Nono, I would not.  As has been pointed out people should not take on
management of a package they cannot handle.  I know, without a doubt, apache
would be beyond me.  I'm starting with parchive2 and will work up from there.
I had only picked apache as an example of something which would be considered
an important package in the sense of one that is either required for Debian to
run or would be sorely missed if it was not present as opposed to important in
the sense of it being important to the people who install it.

> So, «core packages» go without love for long periods of time as well,
> unfortunately.

    Agreed.  My idea is that the experienced maintainers might do well to
offload some of the rote packages to people who are just learning about it so
more people, overall, get experience while at the same time freeing their time
up to devote to the packages for which their experience is called for.