Re: About NM and Next Release

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003, Chris Cheney wrote:

Not to toot my own horn, but I was accepted in under one week.  I took 2 weeks
to read up on everything, then after I sent in my app, less than a week later
I was accepted.

The shortness can probably be attributed to me actually doing work.  This was
during the libc5->libc6 transition, and I was recompiling 3-4 packages each
day, and posting nightly summaries on -devel(this list).  I wasn't hounding
DSA to accept me, I was just showing what work I was doing.  Others on the
list, however, were clamouring for my acceptance.

Of course, after I was accepted, I stopped doing 3-4 recompiles a day; I don't
know what that means.

(I was accepted in January, 1998).

ps: A prospective developer should let his/her actions speak for themself.
Countiously hounding those in charge, or only doing one little bit(a minor
inconsequential package), and then demanding your *right* to join debian,
*will* get you ignored.

pps: If you are expecting delays, don't get frustrated.  Continue to do work.
Do more work.  Proof to everyone that you can be a valuable member to the
project.  If you get delayed, and then go and stomp off, pout, and say I quit,
we will ignore you.

ppps: Being a debian developer is a thankless job.  You seldom get positive
take the heat, or lack of response, before becoming a developer, then you
should perhaps look elsewhere.