Re: [Artwork] question for next release of Debian

Dear Jc, Franz,

Le lundi 8 février 2021, 07:51:04 CET Franz Gratzer a écrit :
> > On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 3:55 PM Jc wrote:
> > For next release, it would be a good idea to add in the artwork
> > requirements that we must use free software available in Debian
> > repositories to do the job.

The main issue with this is who you put behind « we ». Some of the excellent
designs proposals are made by people not using Debian or using their tool of
choice that is not in the Debian archive. They are still kind enough to work
for Debian and produce high quality work under a Free Software license.

So I don’t think « we » currently exists on this topic and having a « we
what the rule would be, and explained like this I really don’t like it. People
are free to use or not use Debian and Free Software as they like (and I’m
convinced they *should* use Debian and Free Software for plenty of reasons !).

> I argued something along these lines last time (or was it the time
> before that?) but this seemingly heretic idea was refused.

That’s not what I remember of the discussion.
Mostly that the people disagreeing with this idea didn’t see reasons to apply
specific rules to artwork that we don’t have for the rest of Debian.

Debian Social Contract doesn’t impose any restrictions on the tools we use to
produce Debian, only that the resulting work is free software. The topic has
been discussed several times on debian-devel including for enforcing the use
of Free Software services (code hosting for instance) and there was no
consensus on the idea.

How much I would like that people use Free Software, I still don’t like the
idea that we force people into using specific tools as long as they want to
work on Debian and the resulting work abides by the Debian Social Contract.

I very much hope that providing high quality artwork and a high quality
desktop will encourage people to use Debian more, and that we don’t even need
to have this discussion in the future. But we don’t seem to be there just yet.

So for me it’s still a no.

Happy hacking !
--
Aurélien