Re: [Artwork] question for next release of Debian

> On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 3:55 PM Jc wrote:
> For next release, it would be a good idea to add in the artwork
> requirements that we must use free software available in Debian
> repositories to do the job.

I argued something along these lines last time (or was it the time
before that?) but this seemingly heretic idea was refused. People
suggested that it wasn't welcoming to new people to require them to
work with the excellent tools we actually do promote. At the same time
I newer saw designs that wouldn't have been easily doable by using
exclusively free software.

To me it seems crazy to accept designs done with proprietary tools when
promoting free software. Especially because there isn't any good reason
to depend on non-free software any more. To me it forms the message:
"Yes, there is free software out there and we do publish it, but in the
end real professional work needs to be done with non-free tools."

I don't think that would be true at all. Therefore, I strongly believe
we should make it a requirement for designs to be considered as the
default in Debian to be done with free software.

It might have been necessary to create high quality designs with non-
free software decades ago, but this surely hasn't been the case for a
long time now.

Cheers,
Franz