Re: Policy on software used to create desktop theme?

On Thu, 2016-10-27 at 19:34 +0300, Vladimir Kudrya wrote:
> The only way to do good in this area - is to showcase capabilities of
> the Free software in action, that would arouse the interest in it.

If the Debian project uses artwork from proprietary tools it is doing
the opposite.

> > Maybe asterisk the FOSS-created ones to highlight on the voting
> > form.

I would not invite judgements of art based on something else than design
qualities. If we want to use designs from free tools because we want to
make a show case, then we shouldn't accept anything else right from the
beginning.

Most people here seem to think that the design process isn't a valid or
relevant aspect of art creation. Therefore they strongly argue for
ignoring the tools as long as the result satisfies the technical specs.

> > I think it benefits Debian (& the FOSS community by extension) more
> > to have awesome artwork to impress & attract the masses rather than
> > getting one or two designers to try switching to an open source
> > package.

It's not about a few designers. It's about our confidence and pride.
Using the products from someone else despite working in the same field
does say a lot about what you think of your own product.