Re: Policy on software used to create desktop theme?

On 26/10/16 at 16:06 +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> She even went as far as describing why she's using the tools she's using,
> and how she discovered our Free Software community (Mini-DebConf Lyon 2015),
> including how she was told not to use tools she was efficient with, but to
> tools that appeared buggy or counter-intuitive to her instead.

Your tone seem to imply that you think that such recommandations are
wrong. I must admit that I'm more of the opinion that everybody should be
free to use whatever software they want when it doesn't have an impact on
others, but that in the context of Debian, "Free Software Needs Free
Tools" (https://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html).

> And how she
> should be taking the time to describe everything suboptimal to the relevant
> developers, instead of just doing well what she wants to.

That sounds like a good idea, and back then I think that we even
discussed using Debian money to send Juliette to Libre Graphics Meeting
or another such event. If that did not happen, I still think that it's
worth exploring, if she is interested.

On 26/10/16 at 16:14 +0200, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:
> We don't ban software that hasn't been done with free software entirely, and I
> don't think it'd be wise, or even tractable, to impose such a rule.

I think that the root question is not whether proprietary software was
used to create that work (some DDs probably use proprietary text editors
to edit files in debian/), but whether we are bound to proprietary
software to modify the (free) software we produce.

I see that some of those contributions are only provided in
Illustrator's format[0]. can they be edited (and exported) using
Inkscape? (I tried to open them, and the 'debian' text didn't look right
-- but maybe I'm missing (free?) fonts?)

So, to put it differently, I'm curious if SVG is a suitable format for
modification of that artwork, and what are its "build-dependencies".

Having a requirement that submitted artworks must be in a source format
that is suitable for modification, under a free license, and with
available software in Debian to serve as build-dependencies to convert it
to the "final" format, would sound like a reasonable requirement for
Buster, and in line with what we do for other kinds of software.

[0]
https://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/softWaves?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=stretch.zip

Lucas