Re: Policy on software used to create desktop theme?

>From a purely practical standpoint it obviously is sufficient to get
final files compliant with open standards. Since then they can be
further edited with free software tools. (I expect this to be common
ground.)

But this was not what I was talking about.

Politically it makes a big difference if we use artwork created with
non-free tools to represent free software. It would be totally different
if there was no free software available for doing this kind of work. But
we have great tools and plenty of people who are doing amazing stuff
with it. Therefore, what good reason could there be to further accept
submissions done with proprietary tools for such representational
purposes in the future?

If not even the free software community thinks using free tools for
doing our artwork is the right thing to do: Who else should?

I didn't go for free software because it was more convenient but because
I believe we can make our world a better place by doing so. Most of the
time it's easier to stick with the known. But sometimes we have to do a
little extra work to gain freedom.