Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:37:17AM -0400, Paul Tagliamonte wrote:
> > Please reconsider the "ink splats". I think this is one of those ideas
> > that look good for five minutes, but not for two years, just like the
> > rocket last time.
>
> I've talked with the author just before this email, and I have him
> control. He noted that it was not as well recieved as some of the other
> themes, so the ink-splat in unlikely to be default.

I wonder if this is true for all the uses of the ink splats decoration.
Even though I like it as a desktop background, I can see how it could
get annoying in the long run for that specific use. OTOH, the boot
splash is something someone will potentially see for two years, but only
during startup/shutdown. I'm less convinced that for *that* specific use
the argument "it will get annoying in the long run" really holds. So, as
a mere user, I wonder if you, the author, and the other participants to
this list might consider using the fancier ink splats decoration for the
boot parts (splashes, grub, etc.) and keep the non ink splats version as
the default desktop background (offering the ink splat as an option
there, as it is already the case in sid). Thanks for considering.

Zack, still pending a more general answer in this thread,