Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 04:35:10PM +0200, Michael Below wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> you wrote on debian-desktop about the coming desktop-base theme:
> > I'm thinking of using the ink-splat as the default background, and the
> > plain swirl in other places, and the unbranded grandiant (or perhaps the
> > logo moved to a corner?) for the login screens.
>
> Please reconsider the "ink splats". I think this is one of those ideas
> that look good for five minutes, but not for two years, just like the
> rocket last time.

Done.

I've talked with the author just before this email, and I have him
control. He noted that it was not as well recieved as some of the other
themes, so the ink-splat in unlikely to be default.

It was just the one I (personally) liked the most, but as it stands,
it's unlikey to be that way for release.

See? I'm not so crazy :)

> You said you chose the "Joy" theme because of:
>
> > >  a tasteful, understated and classic
> > >  look, something that both identifies as Debian while still maintaining
> > >  an air of professionalism.
>
> The theme in total fits to this description, but that variant with the
> ink doesn't. Such ink splats transport a young, lively, fun,
> non-conformist image, but they are not understated, tasteful etc. And I
> agree with you that a default image that is installed for everyone for
> two years should be tasteful, classic and so on.
>
> By all means, the ink splats should be one alternative, but they
> shouldn't be the default... (I think Logo #11 or #12 fit your
> description best, but as long as there are no ink splats it's fine with
> me...)

ACK. You're right.

> Cheers
>
> Michael