Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

On Friday, June 22, 2012 04:45:34 Ulrich Hansen wrote:
> Am 22.06.2012 um 04:00 schrieb Paul Tagliamonte:
> > Sorry, this wasn't the case. I was complaining about the lack of change
> > on debian-devel, got told to do it, prepared the changes, asked the
> > current maintainers, pushed the changes and notifed everyone.
>
> Well, thanks for notifying. A lot of people here were waiting for a vote.
> Just read this list. I know it's kind of a developer thing to want things
> get done and I respect that.
>
> But the people here (including me) are mostly non-developers, they were
> doing their artwork and some put a lot of time into it. I would have
> expected that this work would be judged in a fair manner, with a
> discussion and pros and cons and finally a vote. And not to be notified in
> a hurry by somebody who just was tired of waiting.
>
> > If this is not up to your standard, please hold a vote, revert my
> > patches, update the package and upload it.
>
> Yes, I would like to do that.
>
> I suggest to vote on this list.
>
> I suggest a timeframe of five days. So voting ends Tuesday, 26th of June,
> midnight.
>
> I suggest that everybody who is interested how Debian 7 will look like, can
> participate in that vote. So that means the poll is open for users.
>
> I suggest everybody has one vote and writes the name of the favored
> proposal into the subject line of his mail.

if everyone gets to name one theme, isn't there the danger of everyone naming
themselves and every theme getting 1 vote? how about everyone submitting an
ordered ranking of themes or something? (just a spontaneous idea)

anyway...
i mostly want to say i agree with you and i share your frustration. you
obviously were one of the most active contributors to this process. i think
there is really a bit of a developer vs non-developer communication failure
going on here.