Re: The status of desktop-base in wheezy

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 03:53:42AM +0200, Ulrich Hansen wrote:

> Am 21.06.2012 um 22:08 schrieb Paul Tagliamonte:
>
> > As many of you know, we're tragically close to freeze. As a result, the
> > usual process of voting, debating and picking a theme via consensus is
> > not really possible. There was also a distinct lack of interest in such
> > a process, as well.
>
> I can't believe you are doing this again.

Again?

> After the surreal "vote" for the Squeeze artwork with only a few people knowing about it and only a 48 hour timeframe I thought things would turn out better for Wheezy. But no. Now you just dropped the whole voting.

I wasn't in charge if the squeeze process.

> For months there was nothing on this list from your side, and now, suddenly, it is too late for voting. "Tragically". Are you joking?
>
> I know, this is not a democracy. It's a "do-ocracy" as Stefano Zacchiroli once wrote. But obviously this means: let others do the work but don't let them decide.
>
> Why do you even go into the public and call out a contest, if there is no vote?

I didn't. Please don't confuse me with someone else. At least look up
the email logs.

Hell, I didn't even want this role, I just wanted to see something
happen.

> Let me quote:
>
> ---
> Stefano Zacchiroli, 12. Dezember 2011 11:53:15 MEZ
> "We can setup pages to submit proposals as you did for Squeeze,
> and once the template is ready send out a first press release to invite
> submissions. We can relaunch it once or twice at a 1-2 months
> distance. That would allow us to have a reasonable set of proposals for
> the beginning of the freeze and organize for that time a poll."
> ---
>
> As far as I see it, there is now a reasonable set of proposals and freeze didn't begin yet. So why don't you proceed with that plan?
>
> Another quote:
>
> ---
> Stefano Zacchiroli, 27. Februar 2012 20:59:17 MEZ
> "We haven't yet decided how to do that, but I *guess* it'll either be a vote
> among the people active on -desktop activities, or a public poll among
> users interested into this."
> ---
>
> I trusted that. I thought this would be the direction things were going.
>
> > I've picked the "Joy"[1] theme by Adrien Aubourg as the default
> > for Debian 7.0, which features a tasteful, understated and classic
> > look, something that both identifies as Debian while still maintaining
> > an air of professionalism.
>
> Don't get me wrong. Adrien did a good job. Congratulations for that.
>
> And of course I am disappointed that I did all my work for nothing. But whatever I hoped the outcome would be, I never thought that at the end there would be some mail by someone who never even cared about giving feedback or advice here, and that he just decided it, just as a one-man-show, out of lack of time.

Sorry, this wasn't the case. I was complaining about the lack of change
on debian-devel, got told to do it, prepared the changes, asked the
current maintainers, pushed the changes and notifed everyone.

If this is not up to your standard, please hold a vote, revert my
patches, update the package and upload it.

> I also didn't expect to be told that people running a community project have a "distinct lack of interest" in voting.
>
> No really. Come on. You can't be serious.

I assure you I am. You can track the progress in VCS, unless you decide
to, well, help, in which case you can do what you wish.

I don't particularly want this role, I just want a new default and
decided to *help*.

Cheers,
  Paul