Re: GNOME App Install

Am Mittwoch, den 27.06.2007, 16:05 -0300 schrieb Gustavo Franco:
> > > I think we should do this.

> > > the number of .desktop files in contrib and non-free is too low
> >
> > Actually there are people who don't want any references to non-free
> > software on their system. I would like to still support this.
>
> Agreed.
>
> While we're at it, would be good deuglify and integrate tasksel
> functionality into g-a-i. Upstream stuff I know, but I don't think
> that will be too hard if you want to do more than packaging. I can
> give guidance if you're interested.

Luckily I am an upstream author and also plan to add some Debian only
features, like suggestions by combining popcon and detags data. As
mentioned in a previous mail before I included some distribution
specific hooks.

But I am not sure about tasksel. It doesn't operate on the abstraction
level of applications. Since tasksel doesn't allow to uninstall all
packages of a task (but perhaps this could be implemented by using apt's
new automatically installed status) it belongs more into the installer.
There was support for tasksel in Synaptic some time ago, that is
currently disabled. But the could should still be there.

Cheers,

Sebastian