Re: Debian Desktop Etch+1 - the long road to binoculars.

Am Mittwoch, den 27.06.2007, 16:55 -0300 schrieb Gustavo Franco:

> * Flash and Java support
>
> It would be amazing if we could add stable enough: gnash or swfdec
> (flash) and basically gcjwebplugin (java) or maybe something that will
> come out from openjdk.

Asac works on a kind of gnome-plugin-install based on gnome-app-install
for Ubuntu.

> I've already seen people watching movie trailers from Apple website
> (as I do) using Debian Desktop Etch without considering what was under
> the hood to make that possible. We picked totem mozilla (gecko) based
> browsers plugin with xine backend (packages: totem-mozilla and
> totem-xine). Avoid gstreamer usage was intentional. I would be glad to
> review such a decision, but with proof that we can support more
> formats out of the box (about:plugins is your friend).

Gstreamer improved a lot recently and it does support gnome-vfs.

> * Upgrade manager (update-manager)
>
> I've discussed with kov some of the stuff that can be done to make
> sure Debian Desktop Etch upgrades to Lenny will be easier than
> Sarge->Etch.

I am going to remove the Ubuntu specific parts of the latest
update-manager soon, so that we can update the Debian package.
Furthermore mvo did a great job in providing a dist-upgrade (with
terminal, gtk and qt frontend) tool that is quite flexibel and could be
extended for Debian. Perhaps it is also worth to look at his update unit
tests for Ubuntu.

Cheers,

Sebastian