Re: desktop task: package list

On 11/27/06, Luis Matos <a26652@alunos.mec.ua.pt> wrote:
Seg, 2006-11-27 às 19:05 -0200, Gustavo Franco escreveu:
> > Seg, 2006-11-27 às 16:05 -0200, Gustavo Franco escreveu:
> > (...)
> > > There's no 'desktop environment foo minimal' and 'desktop environment
> > > foo optimised' tasks. Just 'desktop' (using twm), 'gnome-desktop',
> > > 'kde-desktop' and 'xfce-desktop'.
> >
> > i just want that debian's gnome desktop is full of applications that can
> > serve the common users.
> > (...)
>
> That's what we've. The missing bits are being worked on and much more
> can be done for Etch+1 (Lenny). What's your point?

My point is:
1 - look at the other desktop environments (mainly windows) and check
what they have in clean installs
2 - what do common users install on top of it
3 - what extra support do we have to have to uncommon tasks.

What do you think we're doing here? Cooking? :P

> > (..)
> > > i bet we support through the linux kernel more than windows and/or macos does.
> >
> > the filesystem support is trought gnomevfs. i think gvfs is great and
> > it's easy for users to detect, for example, a pen that has been mounted.
>
> btw, we've it in the gnome-desktop task, of course.

i will check if it is complete. For example, correct me if i am wrong:
gnomevfs only supports ftp, ssh, dav, when they are on the system. So,
we must make shore they are. Also nfs, ntfs and other.

We've nfs client yes, ntfs for read only (by default, but AFAIK you
can force rw if you know what you are doing) since the writing code
isn't too stable yet.

(...)

> > > Probably, remember us during lenny development cycle. You can start
> > > something in wiki.d.o. Do you know our wiki?
> >
> > yes, i'll try to make a page. but this is possible for etch. they both
> > exist.
>
> Not when tasksel is frozen and we consider it almost done to ship into
> Etch. ;) You know, just critical updates for d-i etch RC2 and final
> release.

got it. skipped. lenny then. i woke up a bit late.

It doesn't mean that we were all sleeping.

regards,
-- stratus