Re: desktop task: package list

Sáb, 2006-11-25 às 19:37 -0200, Gustavo Franco escreveu:
> On 11/25/06, Luis Matos <gass@otiliamatos.ath.cx> wrote:
> > hello there
> >
> > talking about the gnome desktop task ( don't know about other
> > environments) and the packages that should go along.
> >
> > i want to propose a minimal (or "normal") desktop task and a full
> > functional desktop task.
>
> Actually we've the 'desktop' task for this and the recent added 'xfce'
> to act as lightweight desktop options.

ok, i understand your point ... in tasksel you can choose desktop, but
witch one is installed, does it appear all options?

i thought that a desktop task was shown and installed kde minimal and
gnome minimal. And then, another task installed, for example, a gnome
optimised gnome desktop.

this one, i would like to make, let's say, completely functional with no
needs for a common user to install anything more. It just has all
functions  provided my windows or MacOS.

they are:
 . audio and video codecs
 . out of the box drivers
 . filesystem support
 . and desktop integration

the packages i speak of, is a propose to add to the gnome desktop task.
 (maybe i come late)

> > by this i mean that a full desktop task should cover every area of
> > desktop usage such as:
>
> You should take a look at tasksel source package first, but there we go.
>
> >  - desktop accessories:
> >    . desktop search (beagle)
> >     .. beagle-backend-evolution
>
> I use beagle a lot, but do you know about the current leak problems
> and size of .beagle directory? Well, it won't make Etch because it's
> too unstable.

true. i agree.

> >    . chm visualiser ( xchm or gnochm)
>
> Not sure about .chm readers. Good hint. I'll take a look if it made
> what we think is the last tasksel upload before Etch.

a bunch of ebooks that i recently accessed were in chm. i think it is
useful.

> >  - development ( i think development tools are not needed)
>
> There is nothing special but Debian Etch GNOME desktop is 'development
> ready'. You know, the package options not the ones installed by
> default.
>
> >  - system tools
> >   . gconf-editor
> >   . gnome-keyring-manager
>
> already done.
>
> >  - graphics
> >   . gtkam ( today everyone has a digital foto machine)
> >   . gthumb
> >   . camorama (we cam enable)
> >   . gimp
> >    .. gtkam-gimp
> >    .. gimp-svg
> >    .. gimp-print
> >    .. gimp-help-en
>
> There's gthumb and gimp. Nothing special for cameras but they're
> usable through 'default' GNOME.

> >   . xsane
> >    .. libsane-extras
> >    .. sane-utils
> >  - internet
> >   . tsclient
> >    .. rdesktop
>
> done
>
> >    .. vnc-viewer
>
> If i'm not wrong rdesktop does vnc-viewer, no?

true. it provides.

> >   . liferea
> >   . epiphany-browser
> >    .. epiphany-extensions
>
> done ;)
>
> >   . gaim
> >    .. gaim-backend-evolution
> >   . evolution
> >    .. evolution-exchange
> >    .. evolution-plugins
> >    .. evolution-webcal
> >    .. contact-lookup-applet
> >   . xchat
> >   . ekiga
>
> hmm, done! :)
>
> >  - productivity
> >   . openoffice.org with gnome integration ( the few integration)
> >    .. openoffice.org-evolution
>
> done.
>
> >   . glabels ( for cd covers, labels, and others)
>
> good hint for lenny.
>
> >   . contacts ( address book that integrates with evolution)
>
> hmm?

contacts is an address book for pda's. but it is good to just have an
address book. it's lightwheight and it can substitute evolution in a
fast lookup.

> >  - sound and video
> >   . Istanbul session recorder ( it's for fun)
>
> valid candidate for lenny, imho.
>
> >   . totem with all available codecs
>
> We've totem using xine backend and browser plugins too. In other
> words, you can see that pretty good apple traillers on their website,
> got it? ;)

i am using gstreamer. witch backend supports more codecs?

> >  - games
> >   . frozen buble
> >   . gnome-sudoku
>
> We've gnome games. ;)

true, but these i think are good to add.

> > ==== other stuff ===
> >
> > = nautilus and gnomevfs related
> >  to support every fs:
> >
> >  . ssh
> >  . ftp
> >  . gnomevfs-extfs
> >  . libntfs-gnomevfs
> >  . smbfs ( and smbclient?)
> >  . nfs (?)
> >  . davfs2
>
> needs review for Lenny, but we've good support for Etch.

my aim is to support all available. if the user needs it, it is there.

> > = version control clients =
> >  . subversion
> >  . cvs
> >  . bzr
>
> weren't included yet.
>
> > = drivers =
> >
> >  (people will be satisfied if their hardware just work)
> >
> >  - printer drivers
> >   .  hplip
> >   . hpoj
> >   . hpijs
> >   . ( etc)
>
> we've printing support
>
> > = file roller =
> >
> >  . arj
> >  . tar
> >  . bzip2
> >  . zip (unzip)
> >  . rar (unrar)
> >  . lha
> >  ( some more)?
>
> some included, some not.
>
> >  = development tools =
> >  . some? or none?
>
> none by default, we've text editors. let us avoid the eclipse versus
> emacs versus foo favourite development suite war. :)

my aim is not that. my development i would like to have what people
expect. maybe anjuta, glade and mono develop would be nice for people
that want to have develop gnome applications ... but i think it stays
out of the aim of tasksel.

> >  = administration =
> >  . synaptic
> >  . gdebi ( to install simple .deb packages)
>
> both included.
>

> > what do you think of this?
> >

> That we need some people to verify if what i said that was included,
> is working in Etch (RC1 or upcoming RC2) and let us go ahead to
> include some more good stuff in Lenny and remove what wasn't needed.

i'll try to install with the daily builds. i'll give a note.

--
Best Regards,