Re: desktop task: package list

On 11/25/06, Luis Matos <gass@otiliamatos.ath.cx> wrote:
hello there

talking about the gnome desktop task ( don't know about other
environments) and the packages that should go along.

i want to propose a minimal (or "normal") desktop task and a full
functional desktop task.

Actually we've the 'desktop' task for this and the recent added 'xfce'
to act as lightweight desktop options.

by this i mean that a full desktop task should cover every area of
desktop usage such as:

You should take a look at tasksel source package first, but there we go.

 - desktop accessories:
   . desktop search (beagle)
    .. beagle-backend-evolution

I use beagle a lot, but do you know about the current leak problems
and size of .beagle directory? Well, it won't make Etch because it's
too unstable.

   . chm visualiser ( xchm or gnochm)

Not sure about .chm readers. Good hint. I'll take a look if it made
what we think is the last tasksel upload before Etch.

 - development ( i think development tools are not needed)

There is nothing special but Debian Etch GNOME desktop is 'development
ready'. You know, the package options not the ones installed by
default.

 - system tools
  . gconf-editor
  . gnome-keyring-manager

already done.

 - graphics
  . gtkam ( today everyone has a digital foto machine)
  . gthumb
  . camorama (we cam enable)
  . gimp
   .. gtkam-gimp
   .. gimp-svg
   .. gimp-print
   .. gimp-help-en

There's gthumb and gimp. Nothing special for cameras but they're
usable through 'default' GNOME.

  . xsane
   .. libsane-extras
   .. sane-utils
 - internet
  . tsclient
   .. rdesktop

done

   .. vnc-viewer

If i'm not wrong rdesktop does vnc-viewer, no?

  . liferea
  . epiphany-browser
   .. epiphany-extensions

done ;)

  . gaim
   .. gaim-backend-evolution
  . evolution
   .. evolution-exchange
   .. evolution-plugins
   .. evolution-webcal
   .. contact-lookup-applet
  . xchat
  . ekiga

hmm, done! :)

 - productivity
  . openoffice.org with gnome integration ( the few integration)
   .. openoffice.org-evolution

done.

  . glabels ( for cd covers, labels, and others)

good hint for lenny.

  . contacts ( address book that integrates with evolution)

hmm?

 - sound and video
  . Istanbul session recorder ( it's for fun)

valid candidate for lenny, imho.

  . totem with all available codecs

We've totem using xine backend and browser plugins too. In other
words, you can see that pretty good apple traillers on their website,
got it? ;)

 - games
  . frozen buble
  . gnome-sudoku

We've gnome games. ;)

==== other stuff ===

= nautilus and gnomevfs related
 to support every fs:

 . ssh
 . ftp
 . gnomevfs-extfs
 . libntfs-gnomevfs
 . smbfs ( and smbclient?)
 . nfs (?)
 . davfs2

needs review for Lenny, but we've good support for Etch.

= version control clients =
 . subversion
 . cvs
 . bzr

weren't included yet.

= drivers =

 (people will be satisfied if their hardware just work)

 - printer drivers
  .  hplip
  . hpoj
  . hpijs
  . ( etc)

we've printing support

= file roller =

 . arj
 . tar
 . bzip2
 . zip (unzip)
 . rar (unrar)
 . lha
 ( some more)?

some included, some not.

 = development tools =
 . some? or none?

none by default, we've text editors. let us avoid the eclipse versus
emacs versus foo favourite development suite war. :)

 = administration =
 . synaptic
 . gdebi ( to install simple .deb packages)

both included.

what do you think of this?

That we need some people to verify if what i said that was included,
is working in Etch (RC1 or upcoming RC2) and let us go ahead to
include some more good stuff in Lenny and remove what wasn't needed.

thanks,
-- stratus