Re: Alive and Kicking /WAS Re: The project is dead?

On 8/26/06, RalfGesellensetter <rgx@gmx.de> wrote:
Am Samstag 26 August 2006 11:40 schrieb Luis:
> Umm.... debian-desktop have been on-going for years. It would be nice
> if you could get them to participate in the debian-desktop effort.
> Perhaps not as developers, but to contribute ideas and make sure
> their voices are heard!

Dear Luis,

bundling forces was exactly my intention. It is a pitty that I didn't
know debian-desktop any earlier - do you have a project page at
wiki.debian.org?

Ah, I see. We have been around the debian-desktop mailing list for
ages now. This just shows that more publicity should be done about the
mailing list. Let other people come and participate in the project
before they fork() and start their own. For me, all the debian-based
desktops should have been done using the debian-desktop efforts. I
know that the politics of getting to be a DD and changing things fast
enough is not something that can be changed easily in the old-timers
who run the show. But, Ubuntu in particular has shown that it's viable
to have another approach to Desktops than what debian uses at this
time. i.e.: having cyclic 6 months distributions that are supported
for 2 years, with a 5 distribution that is supported for 5 or so
years. Could not be better.
I'd love to see more Xandros, Linspire, Ubuntu and others
participating in this list.

I do not have a project in wiki.debian.org (i have never even visited
that). I have had a few projects targetting debian as a desktop:
debian-embelisher, debsplash, and now Splashy (whose old name was
usplash, and now sits on Alioth: splashy.alioth.debian.org). I
consider myself more of a programmer than an artist or somebody to
implement/structure policies to follow. So, I left the art developing
for others to do, as well as the "politics" of being the leader for a
project, to concentrate in the development of something that works and
solves one of the problems needed to get debian off the ground as a
desktop: covering the bootup text with a nice progressbar and even
nicer images.

However some of the graphics done for Debian-Edu are related to the
project and maybe not generally usefull as they contain the Skolelinux
logo.

I understand that; all projects based on debian desktop should have
their own custom tweaks. This is fine. But the knowledge you used to
create those themes and the images and the tweaked packages, should be
shared so that other people don't have to figure those things out from
scratch when they do their own tweaks.
And this is not to blame you for that either, i see that you are doing
the right thing into getting the groups to merge and share. Good. This
is what we want. We all benefit from that. But like I said before,
many other companies are debian-based and I have never been aware of
them contributing anything to make this project possible. So, again,
we need to get this project known and taken seriously. And I know that
in other ways, those projects do contribute to debian-desktop (perhaps
indirectly). For instance, Xandros developers work with us in Splashy.
They send us patches from time to time to fix bugs and expand the
functionality of Splashy. I see this because I'm the project leader
for Splashy. And I make sure that others also see it by giving credit
to the people who send patches to us (in the AUTHORS file as well as
Changelogs and such).

So, all I say is: keep up the good work. Perhaps one day
debian-desktop would have it's own target distribution in debian and
we can all work together to deliver a better desktop to the world.

--
Luis Mondesi

Kiskeyix.org

"We think basically you watch television to turn your brain off, and
you work on your computer when you want to turn your brain on" --
Steve Jobs in an interview for MacWorld Magazine 2004-Feb

No .doc: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.es.html