Re: Yoper and DDD performance

> It's just that I can't really point my finger at what makes Yoper faster
> than Debian for me - I just know that it is.

Interesting, I feel tempted to try it myself. Maybe it's the kernel? :)
You should try prelinking your Debian system and document the effect.

> I suspect that most of this is because of prelink, but I'm not sure.

I'm using an environment in Debian that reassembles the one shipped with Yoper
(but without a special kernel) and I can't complain even a little about the
performance.

> Anyway
> if there are more people like you, who really consider such options.
> involved in DDD I can't wait to hear more of it in the future.

There is not a lot in DDD to involved in ATM except dcontrol... It's more of a
springboard to other projects IMHO. I'm actually more involved in Kalyxo[0] -
an attempt to bring KDE and Debian closer together.

> I'm sitting next to a yoper test box right now and I feel that application
> start up times similar to those would benefit desktop use a lot. Opening a
> text editor from a file manager really should happen instantly.

Prelinking with KDE 3.3 yes. :)

> I'm just reading through debiandesktop.org - nice to see more information
> available to the broader public, though now that I see the relationship
> between "desktop" and the rest of Debian specific desktop packages seem

Sorry, I don't understand this. Would you care to eloborate?

[0] http://www.kalyxo.org/

*/ Christoffer Sawicki <qerub@home.se>