Re: Yoper and DDD performance

Hello,

thanks for the answer. From what I've heard so far I see that the transition
from i386 to i686 probably wouldn't bring all that much performance wise.
There are many other distributions building i586 or sometimes i686 packages
that are much slower than Debian, but I thought the already fast Debian might
improve with optimized 686 packages even more so that it gets closer to Yoper
and the likes.
It's just that I can't really point my finger at what makes Yoper faster than
Debian for me - I just know that it is.
I suspect that most of this is because of prelink, but I'm not sure. Anyway if
there are more people like you, who really consider such options. involved in
DDD I can't wait to hear more of it in the future.
I'm sitting next to a yoper test box right now and I feel that application
start up times similar to those would benefit desktop use a lot. Opening a
text editor from a file manager really should happen instantly.

I'm just reading through debiandesktop.org - nice to see more information
available to the broader public, though now that I see the relationship
between "desktop" and the rest of Debian specific desktop packages seem even
more unlikely.

Regards,
Chris