Re: Debian derivatives census: Proxmox VE: welcome!

On Tue, 2015-06-16 at 11:09 +0200, Emmanuel Kasper wrote:

> I am one of the Proxmox devs since a couple of months.
> I have tryed to addressed your points in the wiki page.

Hi, thanks for that :)

> I fixed that, thanks for bringing it forward.

Browsing the dists/ dir in the repo indicates that there are some more
suites available, squeeze, jessie and maybe some sub-suites, would it be
possible for you to add them?

The derivatives census patch generation relies on derivatives shipping
source packages in their apt repository but the Proxmox repo doesn't
seem to contain any source packages. A brief scan indicates that the git
repo probably contains all of the source though.

Adding auto-built source packages would enable:

      * Preventing accidental AGPL/GPL/LGPL license violations
      * Users to find your source packages with debcheckout/apt-get
        source
      * The census to generate patches and expose them to maintainers
      * You to implement reproducible builds for Proxmox

https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds

> I don't think we used or have even know about that field yet, we were
> basically adding our product name 'pve' in the package name up to know.
> I am going to check this in details.

Ok, thanks.

> I know some of them already from last BSP in Austria :)

Great :)

> I plan to attend DebConf as a 'corporate attendant', and paying there
> the corporate attendance fee. We also did sponsor Rafael Herzog's book
> on Debian Administration.

Excellent. There will be some derivatives related events:

https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/261/debian-derivatives-discussion/
https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/262/debian-derivatives-panel/
https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/263/debian-derivatives-infra-work-session/
https://summit.debconf.org/debconf15/meeting/264/debian-derivatives-patches-work-session/

The panel is fairly full already but if you would like to be a backup in
case someone can't make it, that would be good.

More in the thread:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-derivatives/2015/06/msg00009.html

> We are very much involved in QEMU/KVM, and are a member of the Open
> Virtualization Alliance, and the Linux Foundation.

Great :)

> On a general level the work we add on top of debian is backporting
> latest qemu + our own patches, and we integrate other components like
> ZFS which have not found their way into Debian yet.
> Then we have a Perl REST API and a web interface to manage KVM/OpenVZ
> machines.
> All of our own code is under AGPL.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise