Debian derivatives census: Proxmox VE: welcome!

Hi Daniela,

I would like to welcome yourself and Proxmox VE to the Debian
derivatives census! Would you like to take this opportunity to introduce
yourself and Proxmox to us all?

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Proxmox

It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel:

https://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk

I would encourage you to look at Debian's guidelines for derivatives:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines

You may want to look at our census QA page, some of the mails from there
may apply to Proxmox.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

I've made a few changes to the Proxmox census page:

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Proxmox?action=info

The page says that Proxmox modifies Debian binary packages. It is quite
rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does Proxmox actually do
this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications you are
making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.

Would it be possible for you to add the Proxmox sources.list to the wiki
page? This will eventually help feed back patches and new packages to
Debian developers.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Integration#Patches

The page is missing a dpkg vendor field. It is important that Debian
derivatives set this properly on installed systems and mention the value
of the field in the derivatives census.

https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Guidelines#Vendor

The Proxmox News page doesn't appear to have an RSS feed and there
doesn't appear to be a Proxmox blog or a blog aggregator for Proxmox
developers. If there was an RSS feed for Proxmox news/blogs, it would be
syndicated on Planet Debian derivatives and would help the Debian
community find out the things that are happening in Proxmox.

http://planet.debian.org/deriv/

Since Proxmox is based in Austria you might be interested in joining the
Debian Debienna group from Vienna if you haven't already.

https://wiki.debian.org/LocalGroups#Debienna

This year the annual Debian conference is in Germany. This appears to be
relatively close to the Proxmox location, it would be great if
developers from Proxmox could attend DebConf. If this isn't possible,
next year DebConf will be in South Africa.

http://debconf15.debconf.org/

I would encourage Proxmox Server Solutions GmbH (the Proxmox corporate
sponsor) to contribute financially to ensure the continued survival of
Debian and the success of the annual Debian conference. I'm not sure
what sponsor perks are still available for DebConf15 at this late stage,
so contact the DebConf15 sponsor team soon if you want to do this.

https://www.debian.org/donations
http://debconf.org/sponsors/
http://debconf15.debconf.org/become-sponsor.xhtml

I would encourage any attendees to volunteer to ensure the continued the
success of the annual Debian conference, here are some examples of
things that need helpers.

https://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/DebConf13/VolunteerCoordination

I note that Proxmox is based on Debian stable. A great way to help
ensure that the next Debian release will work well is to install and run
the how-can-i-help tool and try to work on any issues that come up.

http://www.lucas-nussbaum.net/blog/?p=837
https://packages.debian.org/unstable/how-can-i-help
https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

I expect that Proxmox is heavily reliant on Linux, OpenVZ and qemu, I
would encourage you to allocate development resources towards upstream
improvements for these tools.

You might want to consider adding DNSSEC to your domains and TLSA
records and SSL to some of your domains. You might also want to redirect
HTTP to HTTPS and add HSTS headers.

https://www.proxmox.com/

Please feel free to circulate this mail within the Proxmox team.

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise