Re: Debian derivatives census: Proxmox VE: welcome!

Hi Paul
I am one of the Proxmox devs since a couple of months.
I have tryed to addressed your points in the wiki page.

> I've made a few changes to the Proxmox census page:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/Proxmox?action=info
>
> The page says that Proxmox modifies Debian binary packages. It is quite
> rare that distributions modify Debian binary packages instead of
> modifying source packages and rebuilding them. Does Proxmox actually do
> this? If so could you describe what kind of modifications you are
> making? If not I guess the page needs to be fixed.
>
> Would it be possible for you to add the Proxmox sources.list to the wiki
> page? This will eventually help feed back patches and new packages to
> Debian developers.

I fixed that, thanks for bringing it forward.

> The page is missing a dpkg vendor field. It is important that Debian
> derivatives set this properly on installed systems and mention the value
> of the field in the derivatives census.
I don't think we used or have even know about that field yet, we were
basically adding our product name 'pve' in the package name up to know.
I am going to check this in details.

> Since Proxmox is based in Austria you might be interested in joining the
> Debian Debienna group from Vienna if you haven't already.

I know some of them already from last BSP in Austria :)

> I would encourage Proxmox Server Solutions GmbH (the Proxmox corporate
> sponsor) to contribute financially to ensure the continued survival of
> Debian and the success of the annual Debian conference. I'm not sure
> what sponsor perks are still available for DebConf15 at this late stage,
> so contact the DebConf15 sponsor team soon if you want to do this.

I plan to attend DebConf as a 'corporate attendant', and paying there
the corporate attendance fee. We also did sponsor Rafael Herzog's book
on Debian Administration.

> I expect that Proxmox is heavily reliant on Linux, OpenVZ and qemu, I
> would encourage you to allocate development resources towards upstream
> improvements for these tools.

We are very much involved in QEMU/KVM, and are a member of the Open
Virtualization Alliance, and the Linux Foundation.

On a general level the work we add on top of debian is backporting
latest qemu + our own patches, and we integrate other components like
ZFS which have not found their way into Debian yet.
Then we have a Perl REST API and a web interface to manage KVM/OpenVZ
machines.
All of our own code is under AGPL.

Emmanuel