Re: Debian derivatives census: welcome SprezzOS

Paul Wise left as an exercise for the reader:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Nick Black wrote:
> It appears that partman-zfs udebs are already available in Debian:
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/partman-zfs

[blink] that would certainly have saved me some time. It was my
understanding that the CDDL-licensed ZFS couldn't be placed into Debain, but
clearly I was mistaken.

> Understandable, although please note that Debian does distribute
> unofficial ISO images containing non-free firmware:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

I hadn't known that, Paul. Thanks. If nothing else, I want to develop and
maintain the techniques necessary to build such installation media up.
There's also a flash-updating udeb I'm including for use with LSI SAS2008
controllers; perhaps I ought make a mainline deb.

> Tuning for specific CPUs is something that Debian as a generic
> distribution can't really do, except via ld.so's hardware capabilities

of course.

> mechanism. If you find some cases where hwcap would result in
> performance improvements, I would encourage you to file bugs/patches
> for enabling that in Debian.

of course.

> If you find cases where LLVM does significantly better than GCC, I
> would likewise encourage you to file bugs/patches for enabling that in
> Debian.

I would in this case rather file the bug against GCC, actually.

> oprofile has been removed from Debian for various reasons but it could
> be re-introduced if you were to adopt it and fix the issues that lead
> to it being removed.

I would be very interested in doing so. I've created the username nickblack
on the mentors server. If you'd be interested in mentoring me, please
respond privately.

> Could you explain some more what you mean by "oprofiling by default"?

It's been our experience that oprofile storing results in a tmpfs or SSD
introduces such low overhead that development environments ought just always
have it running in a sensible default configuration, with variously merged
outputs only a command away. If ident-level oprofiling data was as easily
available as top, we feel, programmers would be much better informed.

It is possible that linux's "perf" tool is better adapted to this task.

--rigorously, nick

--
                                    nick black <nickblack@linux.com>
                 http://www.sprezzatech.com -- unix and hpc consulting