Re: Debian derivatives census: welcome SprezzOS

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Nick Black wrote:

> Sprezzatech was launched in Atlanta this January...

Thanks for the introduction.

>  (a) Enterprise store support, by which I largely mean ZFS. I've been
>     recently working on a partman-zfs udeb for our custom D-I. GPT/UEFI
>     will be assumed defaults, and great care will be taken to ensure
>     partitions are always properly aligned. Any true bugfixes, of course,
>     will be contributed back to Debian.

It appears that partman-zfs udebs are already available in Debian:

http://packages.debian.org/sid/partman-zfs

>  (b) A blinder eye towards non-DFSG-free material, so long as it's not
>     "code" -- an installer with non-free firmware and non-free fonts.
>     This choice was made uncomfortably, but with resolute firmness.

Understandable, although please note that Debian does distribute
unofficial ISO images containing non-free firmware:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

>  (c) Binaries built with LLVM or ICC (Intel C++ compiler) when those
>     compilers generate superior code. More aggressive compilation flags,
>     especially as regards instruction selection and scheduling (ie gccs
>     -march/-mtune).

Tuning for specific CPUs is something that Debian as a generic
distribution can't really do, except via ld.so's hardware capabilities
mechanism. If you find some cases where hwcap would result in
performance improvements, I would encourage you to file bugs/patches
for enabling that in Debian.

If you find cases where LLVM does significantly better than GCC, I
would likewise encourage you to file bugs/patches for enabling that in
Debian.

>  (d) "Immersive development" support. At first, this means Oprofiling by
>     default (and hey, how was Oprofile allowed to go obsolete?). Later, it
>     will mean more.

oprofile has been removed from Debian for various reasons but it could
be re-introduced if you were to adopt it and fix the issues that lead
to it being removed.

http://bugs.debian.org/653168
http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

Could you explain some more what you mean by "oprofiling by default"?

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise