Re: Debian derivatives census: welcome SprezzOS

Paul Wise left as an exercise for the reader:
> I would like to welcome yourself and SprezzOS[1] to the Debian
> derivatives census! I forgot to announce SprezzOS to the Debian
> derivatives list/IRC[2] when I saw you created a census page, but
> perhaps you would like to take this opportunity to introduce yourself
> and SprezzOS to us all?

Hello there, Debian Derivatives Family!

Sprezzatech was launched in Atlanta this January, with the goal of providing
the finest Linux cluster/grid/supercomputing consulting and products
available. SprezzOS is a DD intended as the reference platform for
Sprezzatech's hardware. You can find more at

	http://www.sprezzatech.com/sprezzos.html

We've also reserved http://www.sprezzos.com, but it won't go live until
SprezzOS's 1.0. We are committed to Open Source, and though we disagree
with certain individual Debian policies, we believe it to be technically,
socially and ethically the finest Linux distribution in existence.

I personally have used Debian since 2001, having used Linux exclusively
(save some FreeBSD and Solaris) since 1998. I'm strictly an Unstable man,
and would rather push a Debian than drive a RHEL. Unrelated to SprezzOS,
I will be working with Debian Developer Robert Edmonds (edmonds@debian.org)
to package a few of my projects soon.

SprezzOS will be differentiated by:

 (a) Enterprise store support, by which I largely mean ZFS. I've been
     recently working on a partman-zfs udeb for our custom D-I. GPT/UEFI
     will be assumed defaults, and great care will be taken to ensure
     partitions are always properly aligned. Any true bugfixes, of course,
     will be contributed back to Debian.

 (b) A blinder eye towards non-DFSG-free material, so long as it's not
     "code" -- an installer with non-free firmware and non-free fonts.
     This choice was made uncomfortably, but with resolute firmness.

 (c) Binaries built with LLVM or ICC (Intel C++ compiler) when those
     compilers generate superior code. More aggressive compilation flags,
     especially as regards instruction selection and scheduling (ie gccs
     -march/-mtune).

 (d) "Immersive development" support. At first, this means Oprofiling by
     default (and hey, how was Oprofile allowed to go obsolete?). Later, it
     will mean more.

These are admittedly vague points of order; SprezzOS is of now nascent at
best, and its goals are likely to organically emerge along with its
development.

> It would be great if you could join our mailing list and IRC channel[2].

I have joined the mailing list. Unfortunately, I don't use much IRC.

> It would be great if you could fill out some more of the page, for
> example it appears that you have a blog that could be listed.

I'm going to do this now.

> The "Bugs forwarded to Debian" link and the apt sources.list information
> both point to example.org; I guess these are should be changed to point
> at the SprezzOS domain?

These will be updated as soon as I've worked out the precise logistics. You
can expect this to happen no later than June, and hopefully within this
week.

> You may also want to look at our census QA page[3], some of the mails
> from there may apply to SprezzOS.
>      1. http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census/SprezzOS
>      2. http://wiki.debian.org/DerivativesFrontDesk
>      3. http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/CensusQA

Thanks for the pointers; I'm keeping up as best I can :D. Before the
SprezzOS 1.0 release drops, trust that I'll have perused these links with
much sedulousness.

Thanks for welcoming us onto the team!

--rigorously, nick black (president/principal scientist, sprezzatech)

--
                                    nick black <nickblack@linux.com>
                 http://www.sprezzatech.com -- unix and hpc consulting