Re: Back with CDD

On Sun, Feb 12, 2006 at 11:36:52AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> >i haven't tested simple-cdd with debian-installer versions newer than
> >20050305 (sarge's current release). i suspect significant changes have
> >been implemented post-sarge, so it may no longer be compatible with
> >simple-cdd.

> IMHO, the problem of simple-cdd is that people ignore that CDD is
> intended to be something *inside* Debian (and I admit the name Custom
> Debian Distributions is missleading).

ok, so it maybe should be named simple-ddd, as it's really a tool
outside of debian, and therefore mainly for debian derived
distributions.

what it can and has been used to create, however, is a derived
distribution comprised entirely of plain debian packages with
customizations within the scope of debconf pre-seeding. so, it is a tool
outside debian that can be used to create a "pure" CDD.

unfortunately, i don't have the time or energy to keep it up to date and
working with a moving target such as etch.

it works quite nicely with the tools available in sarge, so i'm glad for
that- i don't know of other tools within sarge that can so easily create
something similar.

> If the advise from
>
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-custom/2005/07/msg00033.html

>    to download simple-cdd, stick in /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
>    deb http://debian-np.alioth.debian.org/debian unstable main
>
>    (also added a "backport" of debpartial-mirror for sarge)
>
>    and: apt-get install simple-cdd
>
> could be replaced by just
>
>     apt-get install simple-cdd
>
> dependency problems could be expressed correctly and the BTS could be
> used to report this kind of problems.

yes, that would be nice.

if others wanted to make simple-cdd a package within debian, and working
with debian etch, i would be thrilled.  i would do what i could to help
that. probably getting simple-cdd moved from the debian-np svn
repository into the cdd svn repository would be a good start.

though it might be better to focus on improving debian-cd,
debian-installer, and other tools already within debian, and getting
cddtk, into debian, which could make simple-cdd unneccesary.

> >perhaps you can share those errors, otherwise we wouldn't be able to
> >help you :P
>
> Who is "we"?

well, since (several) other people have recommended simple-cdd as a tool
to create a debian-based customized distributions on this list, it seems
that there are people on this list somewhat familiar with simple-cdd,
and thus able to provide assistance with getting it working. so the "we"
is anyone familiar with simple-cdd on this list.

live well,
  vagrant