Re: SPAM!!

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 09:57:04PM -0400, Jens Gecius wrote:
> Agreed, but take a hefty price - they shall learn what not to do
> :-). Otherwise, they'd spam us all the time and pay the low price tag
> easily...

It's not a low price. :-)  Here is what Debian's page says about it.
(Note the part about "pay in arrears". :-) ...

Debian mailing list advertising policy

   This policy is intended to fight mailing-list "spamming".

   The  Debian  mailing  lists accept commercial advertising for payment.
   The  fee  for  advertisments  is  a  donation  of  USD 1000 or more to
   "Software   in   the   Public   Interest"   (SPI).  One  donation  per
   advertisement,  please.  If  you prefer to pay in arrears, simply post
   your  advertisement  to  the list, and the list operator will bill you
   USD 1999. The list operator will donate this amount, minus the expense
   of  collecting  it, to SPI. Please note that the lists are distributed
   automatically -- messages are generally not read or checked in any way
   before they are distributed.

   The act of posting an advertisement indicates your willingness to
     * accept responsibility for the fee,
     * indemnify  the  list operator against any legal claims from you or
       others in connection with your advertisement, and
     * pay  any  legal  and business expenses incurred in collecting late
       payment.

   Our liability to you is limited to a good-faith effort to deliver your
   message.

   Reduced  rates  and/or  waiver of fee are available for Debian-related
   advertisements.  You  must  consult  the  list  operator in advance of
   posting for any reduction or fee waiver.

           bob
--
 bob billson        email: reb@bhive.dhs.org          ham: kc2wz    /)
                           reb@elbnet.com             beekeeper  -8|||}