Re: call for votes on default Linux init system for jessie

Matthias Urlichs <smurf@smurf.noris.de> writes:

> I sincerely hope that the project will now accept this vote's result.
> Instead of, say, pulling a GR.

As painful as the GR process is likely to be, and as much as I hate saying
this because of the emotional and enthusiasm drain that it's likely to be
for many people, I feel like I have to reiterate that it's entirely
appropriate for the project to decide by GR something that was decided by
casting vote.  The outcome of the TC process was an even split.  We have a
technical mechanism for avoiding inconclusive outcomes within the TC
because making a decision is frequently better than making no decision,
but if there's ever a time when project-wide review is appropriate, I
think it's on this question.

This is a decision that will have wide-ranging impact on the work of many
people within the project, and which has raised several fundamental
questions of project goals and design principles.  I personally think that
the TC did reasonably high-quality work evaluating the options and the
implications of them, but of course I would think that.  The GR process is
entirely appropriate review, and given how many people this decision will
affect, an entirely appropriate step to take to feel in more direct
control of the nature of one's work within the project.