call for votes on default Linux init system for jessie

I have carefully considered Ian's current proposal for a process and
schedule to reach a next ballot on the init system issue, and do not
believe it is the best way for us to proceed.

The fundamental problem is that I remain as convinced now as I was when
I posted my last CFV that conflating multiple questions in a single
ballot is a bad idea.  Our voting system works exceptionally well when
we're trying to choose between multiple alternatives for a single
question.  But as others have observed, trying to mix questions into a
matrix of alternatives in a single ballot really complicates the
process.  I believe it both tempts us all to take a more tactical
approach to voting than appropriate, and increases the risk of stumbling
over corner cases in the process which could lead to surprising results.

My other concern is that while it is clearly within our constitutional
right, to the best of my recollection the committee has never before
issued a binding ruling on an issue not explicitly put before it.  Thus,
a vote on the "T vs L" question in whatever form might evolve through
further discussion seems precedent-setting to me... and thus deserves to
be voted on discretely, so the outcome is clear and unambiguous input to
the project.

I expect that Debian can and should continue to support multiple init
systems for the foreseeable future.  I also believe that Debian can and
should take an active role working with upstream projects on software
that is important to us, such as init system projects.

So... I want to try and simplify this again using essentially the same
ballot I put forth before, but with all the concerns raised by other
committee members addressed... except for Ian's demand that we conflate
the "T vs L" question in the same vote.  I understand this means Ian
will most likely vote further discussion as his first choice, but I
sincerely hope the rest of you will not do that and instead vote this
ballot to a useful conclusion.

I explicitly sought and have received our project Secretary's review of
the text of this ballot.  Both the assertion of jurisdiction and text
allowing a GR to override our conclusion incorporate his inputs.

As per Constitution 6.3.1, I call for an immediate vote on the following
ballot, with a voting period of one week or until the outcome is no
longer in doubt:

- - - start ballot - - -

We exercise our power to decide in cases of overlapping jurisdiction
(6.1.2) by asserting that the default init system for Linux
architectures in jessie should be

  D    systemd

  U    upstart

  O    openrc

  V    sysvinit (no change)

  F    requires further discussion

Should the project pass a General Resolution before the release of
"jessie" asserting a "position statement about issues of the day" on
init systems, that position replaces the outcome of this vote and is
adopted by the Technical Committee as its own decision.

- - - end ballot - - -