Re: FTP masters willingly blocking OpenStack nova 2013.1 just right before the OpenStack summit

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 11:47:35AM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Goswin von Brederlow writes ("Re: FTP masters willingly blocking OpenStack nova 2013.1 just right before the OpenStack summit"):
> > On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 01:34:25PM +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > > You should refer to the TC when it becomes clear that neither you nor
> > > the ftpmasters are going to be convinced, or if you feel that the
> > > ftpmasters aren't engaging sufficiently constructively in the
> > > conversation.
> > Unfortunately even the TC can't force the ftp team to engage in any
> > conversation. Basically they can overrule a conversation but they
> > can't overrule silence. They can overrule a bad reason given but they
> > can't overrule when no reason is given.
>
> For the record, this is not how I would approach such a question.
>
> In the absence of a coherent rationale for a decision we're asked to
> review (whether made by a maintainer, ftpmasters, or whoever), I would
> vote to overrule.
>
> Such a rationale might be provided by the parties to the dispute, or
> by others, or might be evident to, and explained by, some or all of
> the committee members.  In the case of #535645 I think the decision
> was taken based on a rationale most clearly enunciated by Andi and
> Steve.
>
> Regards,
> Ian.

Neither of whom was ftp-master and could only speculate about the
reason why ia32-libs-tools was removed. Andi even personally asked
ftp-master for clarification but never got a reply.

Note that 95% of what Andi and Steve said (basically anything past the
first mail) was related to the future plans for ia32-libs-tools and
how it would transition itself to pure multiarch. Something that was
at that time still years away and still in flux.

But water under the bridge. A short while ago i updated my last system
using ia32-libs-tools to testing and transitioned fully to multiarch
and removed my apt repository for ia32-libs-tools as access had
stopped basically for some time. All users seem to have transitioned
successfully to multiarch or stoped using 32bit legacy cruft.

I'm just sad that this option wasn't in Debian and most squeeze users
had to suffer ia32-libs/ia32-libs-gtk and its security (and other)
bugs and will have a hard time upgrading to wheezy.

MfG
	Goswin