Re: FTP masters willingly blocking OpenStack nova 2013.1 just right before the OpenStack summit

]] Thomas Goirand

> For testing, I would understand. But for going on production, it doesn't
> make sense to install things for more than one hypervisor in a single
> system.

I think it does: I might be interested in running less trusted code in
KVM, since it provides more isolation, and more trusted code in lxc,
which provides less isolation, so running both lxc and kvm at the same
time certainly makes a ton of sense to me.

> > Now, lets have one technical point too. Why are you doing a chmod +x
> > unconditionally in postinst on all the plugin files you just shipped
> > with the nova-xcp package? And similar in the -network?
>
> Because otherwise it doesn't work (if I remember well, it took me a full
> month last year to find this out). Or are you pointing out that I could
> ship these files already with the +x bit? Though, if that is your view,
> how much would you rate this seriousness? IMO, not more than wishlist.

You should ship them with the +x bit already.  I'd rate it serious or
important, since you're breaking dpkg-statoverride.

(I'd love for Lintian to grow a check for changing permissions of
shipped files so we could get rid of that completely.  I don't think it
has it yet.)

--
Tollef Fog Heen