Re: FTP masters willingly blocking OpenStack nova 2013.1 just right before the OpenStack summit

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 04:28:22PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> writes:
> > On 04/16/2013 03:58 AM, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> >> The second part is something for a important bugreport
> >> - why do you presume to tell me I might not want qemu and uml, or
> >> qemu/kvm or whatever on one machine? I may not be able to run it at same
> >> time, but why may I not install them?
>
> > For testing, I would understand. But for going on production, it doesn't
> > make sense to install things for more than one hypervisor in a single
> > system.
>
> FWIW, I think the testing use case is important.  This is the sort of
> constraint that I, as a Debian user, find really frustrating.  I want to
> always be able to install a package to look at it, read the documentation,
> etc., even if the collection of packages I have installed doesn't make
> "sense," provided that there's no technical reason why those packages
> CANNOT be installed together.

I'm using unionfs-fuse with its example boot script to nfs-root boot
any number of hosts from a single disk based system. As such some of
the systems booted that way may need qemu because they don't support
kvm while others should use kvm because they can.

The single server would need to have both qemu and kvm installed
and decide at boot time which to use based on cpu capabilities.

So there is your production use case that needs both installed. It's
not just for short term testing.

MfG
	Goswin

PS: Given one installed Debian unionfs-fuse lets you configure and
boot a 1000 node cluster in 5 minutes.
/usr/share/doc/unionfs-fuse/examples/unionfs-fuse-nfs-root realy is
the best.