Re: Renewed appeal to the technical committee about the FransAndCo.Vs.Sven dispute

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 01:40:35 -0800, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> said:

> BTW, there is one aspect of the current conflict that is under the
> TC's purview: under §6.1.2, the technical committee decides in
> disputes over who the maintainer for a package should be.  Sven's
> calls for restoring his commit access are ultimately grounded in the
> fact that the Debian Installer team is the maintainer for the
> installer and its many individual component packages, and they build
> these packages out of the svn repo.  So it looks to me that it is in
> our power to rule that Sven should be the maintainer of some subset
> of powerpc-specific installer packages.  That's not what he's asked
> for though, and this would only move the interface between Sven and
> the d-i team (and the resulting conflict) by one degree, so I don't
> believe this is something we ought to do.

        I think that the TC could take d-i away from the current team
 and assign it to Sven Luther (and subsequently commit ourselves to a
 secure asylum) -- but I don't think one has precedent for taking part
 of a package, and handing it off to someone else. The degree of
 coordination required would make such a shotgun wedding an untenable
 working situation.

        If the TC feels that sven is in the right, and the current d-i
 team is wrong, and is incapable of handling the package (which is a
 stance I oppose), then sure.

        manoj
--
Banectomy, n.: The removal of bruises on a banana. Rich Hall,
"Sniglets"