Re: Renewed appeal to the technical committee about the FransAndCo.Vs.Sven dispute

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 09:45:28PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>         I think that the TC could take d-i away from the current team
>  and assign it to Sven Luther (and subsequently commit ourselves to a
>  secure asylum) -- but I don't think one has precedent for taking part
>  of a package, and handing it off to someone else. The degree of
>  coordination required would make such a shotgun wedding an untenable
>  working situation.

Addressing only the technical point here, since we seem to be in agreement
regarding whether this should be done in the present case -- the Debian
installer is built from a large number of individual source packages, and
while many of them are maintained by the installer team, not all are.  I
think it's perfectly reasonable to consider the question of whether it might
be better to assign some of these powerpc-related source packages away from
the d-i team, and that this doesn't represent reassigning "part" of a
package.

And having considered that question, I do think the answer is no.  In
particular, the linux-kernel-di-powerpc-2.6 source package, which was the
most recent point of contention, is one that I think should be at the
disposal of a team, not just an individual -- and especially not an
individual that the d-i team doesn't get along with.  While I understand
that Sven is unhappy at being left on the outside of the team in question, I
don't think that giving the package to him as an individual will really be a
benefit to the powerpc users, and it certainly doesn't do anything to
address the underlying cooperation problems.