Re: Renewed appeal to the technical committee about the FransAndCo.Vs.Sven dispute

On Fri, Nov 24, 2006 at 11:43:08AM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> I hereby propose the following resolution:

> 1. We note that Sven Luther has a dispute with the debian-installer
>    team; Sven feels that he should have access to the d-i svn
>    repository.

> 2. We note that the d-i team, who manage that repository, disagree.

> 3. Whether or not someone should be permitted commit access to a
>    repository is a social and political matter.  Therefore we do not
>    have the power to overrule the d-i team on this question.

> 4. Nevertheless, we wish to state some opinions as we are
>    empowered to do by s6.1(5) of the constitution:

> 5. Sven:  Your behaviour leaves much to be desired.

>    You should stop wasting everyone's time and energy with this
>    campaign to be reinstated as a d-i committer.  Regardless of the
>    merits of the original decision, by now it seems unlikely that
>    anyone on the d-i team would find you a congenial colleague, and we
>    can see good reasons for their decision to hold you at arm's
>    length.

>    Please do not contact the committee again on this matter.

> 6. The Project Leader should delegate (to a group rather than to an
>    individual, but perhaps to an existing group or groups) mediation
>    and disciplinary powers, including the power to intervene
>    informally, give formal advice and reprimands, rule on social
>    disputes, and take disciplinary action short of expulsion.

I am reluctant to ratify this resolution.  Although I'm largely in
agreement, the only slight /potential/ good I see coming from this is that
going forward, the technical committee might be the *one* authority in
Debian that Sven doesn't try to browbeat into overriding Frans's decision.
I'm not sure that's even probable, let alone a worthwhile benefit.

BTW, there is one aspect of the current conflict that is under the TC's
purview:  under §6.1.2, the technical committee decides in disputes over who
the maintainer for a package should be.  Sven's calls for restoring his
commit access are ultimately grounded in the fact that the Debian Installer
team is the maintainer for the installer and its many individual component
packages, and they build these packages out of the svn repo.  So it looks to
me that it is in our power to rule that Sven should be the maintainer of
some subset of powerpc-specific installer packages.  That's not what he's
asked for though, and this would only move the interface between Sven and
the d-i team (and the resulting conflict) by one degree, so I don't believe
this is something we ought to do.