Re: Renewed appeal to the technical committee about the FransAndCo.Vs.Sven dispute

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 11:43:08 +0000, Ian Jackson
<ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> said:

> I hereby propose the following resolution:

> 1. We note that Sven Luther has a dispute with the debian-installer
>    team; Sven feels that he should have access to the d-i svn
>    repository.

> 2. We note that the d-i team, who manage that repository, disagree.

> 3. Whether or not someone should be permitted commit access to a
>    repository is a social and political matter.  Therefore we do not
>    have the power to overrule the d-i team on this question.

> 4. Nevertheless, we wish to state some opinions as we are empowered
>    to do by s6.1(5) of the constitution:

> 5. Sven: Your behaviour leaves much to be desired.

>    You should stop wasting everyone's time and energy with this
>    campaign to be reinstated as a d-i committer.  Regardless of the
>    merits of the original decision, by now it seems unlikely that
>    anyone on the d-i team would find you a congenial colleague, and
>    we can see good reasons for their decision to hold you at arm's
>    length.

>    Please do not contact the committee again on this matter.

        ...unless there are significant new developments.

        With that one addition, I agree with this resolution so far.

> 6. The Project Leader should delegate (to a group rather than to an
>    individual, but perhaps to an existing group or groups) mediation
>    and disciplinary powers, including the power to intervene
>    informally, give formal advice and reprimands, rule on social
>    disputes, and take disciplinary action short of expulsion.

        I think that this has been tried before, and another is under
 way;  and I am not so sanguine that anything real is likely to emerge
 from it.  I don't think this is a matter of delegation or a personal
 conflict between the DPL and a developer; so just passing the buck to
 a new person does not seem like a solution.

        manoj
--
Oreo.