Re: Renewed appeal to the technical committee about the FransAndCo.Vs.Sven dispute

On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 05:47:06PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Note that the TC makes decisions only as a last resort.  This means
> > that for any high profile question brought to the TC the TC members
> > are fairly likely to have seen prior discussion, formed an opinion,
> > and participated as individuals.

> Probably. But there is a difference between having seen prior discussion
> or even participated in the discussion, and having taken full position in
> favour of one of the parties, and repeteadly took position in a fully
> one-sided way.

No, there's really not.  It is customary for judges to recuse themselves from
cases where they have a *personal* interest in the outcome that differs from
*society's* interest in the outcome.  I have no money invested in a direct
competitor of yours, I am not aspiring to supplant you as the leader of the
powerpc port, and I have no agenda that involves killing off the powerpc
port; there is no relevant personal bias here.  My only goals are to foster
a global minimum of friction between developers and encourage the
technically best distribution that we can get.  That doesn't disqualify me
from the technical committee just because I think *you're wrong*.

Because that's really what this comes down to -- you're unwilling to accept
that anyone without an ulterior motive could ever disagree with Sven.
Indeed, you have repeatedly accused me personally of being dishonest with
myself for disagreeing with you in this exact matter.  As long as you can't
accept that what's best for you, and what you think is best for the
community, is different from what *others* think is best for the community,
and accept that the greater good of the community has to take precedence,
any "mediation" attempts will be a waste of time because you will never
sublimate your own agenda by submitting to binding arbitration, and if
you're not willing to do that, then the only way to ever "resolve" anything
is by giving in to you.

So yes -- I really do think that you learning to accept a loss gracefully
outweighs any short-term impact it may have on the powerpc port, because
being able to resolve conflicts over technical issues *without* invoking a
higher authority, *without* accusing others of personal malice, is an
important part of being part of a development team, and I have no reason to
believe that forcing Frans to give you commit access is going to change how
you interact with other developers when things don't go your way, which
means there will always be another blow-up, and your contributions to the
powerpc port as a single developer do not outweigh the countless developer
hours lost to your diatribes.