Re: #342455

Raul Miller writes ("Re: #342455"):
> On 2/10/06, Ian Jackson <ian@davenant.greenend.org.uk> channelled:
> > The proposed change to devmapper changes the permissions for all block
> > devices, doesn't it ?  Whereas the other debian defaults vary from one
> > kind of device to another.  For example, floppies are g+w floppy.
>
> The change to devmapper is inconsistent in the context of many groups
> of machines.

Um, are we talking about the same change here ?  I'm criticising the
proposed change to the configure script which makes all the block
devices start out g+w disk.

> It's also inconsistent over time on many single machines.

I agree that the current situation is unsatisfactory.  But I think (at
the moment, at least) that it should be fixed by adopting Bastian's
code fragments with an appropriate configuration.

> > For changing the `default' by changing the permissions at device
> > creation time at the very least introduces a race, where the device
> > briefly has the default permissions; if the defaults are maximally
> > restrictive then this is OK.
>
> The debian defaults grant permission to an empty group -- one
> which by default has no users -- this is maximally restrictive.

This is rather disingenuous.  No-one would be complaining if the disk
group remained empty.