Re: let us moderate the debian-consultants list

Hi everyone,

Re: Objectives

I think the purpose is a little different to discussing just the
technical aspect, it includes the logistics of consulting utilising
Debian.  It's to discuss how we find clients that want to use Debian,
how to determine that it's appropriate for a situation, calls for
help (eg. your question would be appropriate if you included more
information about your environment).

This would seem to be the only appropriate official Debian list to
discuss such issues.  Debian-commercial appears to be a product
announcement list only rather than a discussion list.

Philosophically, the fact that it exists proves that Debian isn't
just a free *anything* zealot group and gives Debian a commercial
dimension to support the free software side.  I think ONE aim of
Debian is to penetrate the commercial market, but if a company or
consultant finds no way to communicate with other consultants or
people who use Debian in a commercial situation while investigating
its potential they may be put off Debian.

The fact that we don't end up with many legitimate posts may be
evidence that after selecting the product there have been few
problems while consulting with it.  If they are posting their
questions to other lists as Debian "users" then that's fine as well,
it would mean they caught the Debian Fever :-)

Going through the archives there do appear to be a few people
seeking consultants.  I expect that interested people would have
replied to the poster directly rather than post their business
arrangements back to the list once initial contact is made. Business
people have a tendency to get back to work once their needs have
been met, but it would be nice if any of those people would reply
to the list to say whether they got what they needed.

As for the spam, I get thousands more spams personally than through
the list, and most of it is caught by a spam filter so I find it
trivial.

See archives 2003-Jun/Jul for the last time this came up.

I'll leave your Windows 2003 domain question for someone else
who's done it, but it doesn't concern a logistic of using Debian
in a consulting/commercial Windows 2003 environment, so it could be
asked on any technical Linux/*ix list unless you describe your
objectives and environment better.

Cheers,
Steve