Objectives, was: let us moderate the debian-consultants list

On 2004-09-25 05:04:20 +0100 Stephen Hardman <hardguy@it.net.au> wrote:

This would seem to be the only appropriate official Debian list to
discuss such issues.  Debian-commercial appears to be a product
announcement list only rather than a discussion list.

I agree. Sadly, like many people, I tend to forget about this list for long spans of time. I guess as consultants rather than pure commercial product sellers, most of our development work is on-topic in other lists.

Posts announcing ourselves should already be on pages like http://www.debian.org/consultants/turo_technology if we care about such things, but can new entrants announce themselves here?

Like many others, I would generally reply to customer enquiries off-list and request further information, preferably GPG-encrypted, but would it be better to reply in public, to show who's active? Or are we all scared of each other?

Part of the problem could be that the list is managed by absentees, as far as I can tell from the page http://lists.debian.org/debian-consultants/ - I remember the summer 2003 discussion where a listmaster seemed to say they didn't care for it. To test this, are the proposed moderators willing to try to post "interesting" things for consultants here when they spot them? Let's see if active listowning will solve the problem.

Finally, one reason I want this list to survive while I don't care so much about most other general "linux-consultant" lists is that I like the debian lists code of conduct and usual styles. If you've not seen it, look at http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/#codeofconduct - if you have, please also remember to trim and reply beneath the quote. It's pretty safe to assume that we can check the archive if we want to read the whole previous discussion, so don't send it with each email.

 Creative copyleft computing - http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
LinuxExpo.org.uk village 6+7 Oct http://www.affs.org.uk